Written by: Mark "Sharky" Smoothy
Read by: Domonic Thompson, Macqaurie Team
Distance: 145 km (Launceston to Bridport)
Two ute loads of roos, 52 and a half wombats, one big beach bag full of bones, enough possums to make an expensive pelt onesie and 17 birds of all descriptions.
A great night was had by all, and most importantly, was done and dusted by 7:30 pm. Everyone (excpet for Furious) seemed to have behave themselaved.
The traditions of Smiling for Smiddy were introduced and told from the perspective by the following:
Serge Semic and Natalie Goebel kindly stepped up to take on this esteemed role.
you to the Harcourts Lads Whippsy and Freibes for taking on the huddle today
- A huge congratulations to those six riders who completed their longest ever ride today and were applauded accordingly (and deservedly so)
- Whippsy, congrats on taking out the first puncture of the tour after that dirt section near Batman Bridge. Ben Hola, thank you mate for fixing it so fast as we had no spares for a disc wheel!
- The final 4 km Team Time Trial was won by some team that was way faster than me
- Well done Rebecca Phillips for allowing the strong lads to help you out today. You did an awesome job and will get stronger as each day passes.
- A big welcome to Phil Anderson, who joined us for the huddle today and will ride the remaining four days with us. Phil has been involved with Smiddy since 2009 and we are honoured to have him on board for this event.
- Another welcome to Wayne Messer, joining us tonight for dinner and will be riding the remaining four days with us as well. Wayne is one of our highest fundraisers and apart from being one of the strongest riders I know, is a downright gentlemen of the sport.
Whippsy, Matty, Cookey, Ricardo, and many others, thank you for helping out
those riders in need. The team spirit is alive and cooking at Smiddy so early
on. You all rock.
- Another Smiddy first today in the father and son category of riders, with three of you getting into the Smiddy history books. The Swarbrick duo of Ian and Jayden, the Russells in Furious and Tim and as mentioned above, the Airey lads in Carl and Lachlan.
- Congratulations to today’s Jersey recipient in Archie Tait, presented by Krista Page and Killer, for all the pushing he did today and for all the behind the scenes work he has done for Smiddy over the past year. His kindness, integrity and commitment to Smiddy (and his fellow riders) makes him the epitome of the spirit jersey.
- To our esteemed guest speakers in Natalie and Brett Goebel, thank you for sharing your story of your doing this ride in honour of father, who was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. Brett, thank you for sharing Michael's story with us as well, your dear friend who passed away from cancer at 44 years of age. A reminder as to why we keep riding each and every day.